Wednesday, 30 November 2011

Braeden's Baby quilt

We finally had a baby shower for my nephew Josh and Janneke's first baby, Braeden. I chose another Square Dance quilt. This is such a great pattern and whips up quickly. The zoo animal print was the focus fabric.

I had originally put some lime green prints with this, but my two sisters were over one day and they had fun raiding my stash and replacing some of the greens with oranges and blacks. The baby room walls were green, so they figured it would be safer to avoid too much green. Here they are arranging the chosen fabrics in the right order:

They did a great job of picking the colours:

It was quilted with a simple meander in orange:

The finished quilt with binding done in the original zoo animal print:

Tuesday, 29 November 2011

Ian's Baby quilt

Little Ian finally got his baby quilt! He was born in May and we've been trying to get together all summer to deliver the quilt. That's what happens when I miss the deadline of the shower!!! LOL I did a square dance pattern in these lovely oranges mostly from the Wee Play fabrics by American Jane. The Square Dance (and the Crazy Eights) are quick and easy. They use 8 FQ's and they are cut all at the same time. It can also be doubled for a lap size quilt.

As you can see on this photo, it was summer when I had the top done!!
The finished quilt. It actually was quilted at the end of July, but vacation and life got in the way in the fall and I really wanted to have a little visit with the new Mom. My friend Joan and I had a delightful visit with Ian and his Mom, Caroline, and he now has his quilt :-).

I tried out another new quilting quilts are great to try new quilting designs....if it's not perfect, the baby won't care :-).

I just LOVE this cool dog houses and cars print and it happened to be on my sewing table when I was working on the quilt and I noticed that the colours matched perfectly! I didn't have quite enough so I added a strip of the striped binding fabric down the middle.

Tuesday, 8 November 2011

Playing with Kaffe Fasset fabrics!

My students wanted to do a sampler quilt with 6" blocks, so I dug out the class notes for the blocks I taught in 2002. Here is the quilt I made from the my sample blocks for the original class:

I thought it would be fun to update the blocks this time for my samples and dug into a stack of Kaffe Fasset fat quarters that my friend Els from Holland brought for me when she visited in September. I had a collection of solids as well. It was fun digging through the fabrics to come up with combinations. Here are the first two trees:

This afternoon I made some houses, one with a chimney and one without; one with curtains and one without:

Here are the four blocks together so far. I am liking these wild, bright trees and houses. I don't know what I'm going to do with them yet, but I'll grow some more trees and build some more houses when the mood hits :-)