This was my first attempt at working out the hexagons around a panel. I purchased 7 of these panels (center of the quilt) at a quilt shop as they reminded me so much of the campground where we camped with our children for 22 years. Our oldest grandson was working there this summer and I thought perhaps this would be a quilt he would like when he graduates from grade 12 in a year and a half. I have a pile of lap quilts ready for the grandkids to choose when when they graduate.
The strips were cut 3 1/4". It took a bit to arrange the hexagons around the panel and get them all in the right spot. Then I started sewing the sections together that would be attached to the panel. The hexagons shrink quite a bit and sometimes don't line up properly anymore. But, I only had to pick out one of them and rearrange. The top and bottom turned out to be 3/4" too long to sew onto the panel :-). We tried putting that narrow brown strip all around, but that didn't look good, so we just did it on the sides. Some of the hexagons are appliqued over the panel to keep the colours flowing better. (Click on the photo to enlarge it to get a better view of that.) Julie Cassidy quilted it with a pantograph called "droplet" on her long arm machine.
|finished quilt top|
|a magical scene of the lake|
|Quilt hanging in the London Friendship Quilter's Guild show in October|
|a later view with less sunlight on it|