Monday, 12 March 2018

Canadian Eh?

I had a lot of fabrics left from my Canada 150 quilt.  After doing a number of jelly roll race quilts, my friend Alice came up with the idea of doing one in Canadian fabrics.  So, we dug through our stashes and cut at least two strips for each of us and then went shopping together to buy enough fabrics to make 48 strips.  This made a great lap quilt measuring 62" x 66".  We were both really happy with the way this quilt turned out.  I had it quilted with an all over pattern called Maple Syrup by Julie Cassidy on her long arm machine.  (Click on the photos to enlarge.)

The finished quilt

backing

lots of Canadian in this quilt :-)

all over quilting design is called "maple syrup"

I still had lots of leftover strips and I had a 22" feather pillow form in my closet so I put together enough strips to make a pillow to match the quilt.  I appliqued a red maple leaf with a black maple leaf cut 1/2" larger to make a shadow behind it.  The red maple leaf was just too small on that large pillow. It is quilted with straight horizontal lines. 

Finished pillow front

I did the usual zippered back in the pillow with a Canadian newsprint type print.  I had to buy a duvet zipper as the largest dressmaker zipper I could find was only 22".
I have used the pillow and quilt for naps several times...perfect size for the futon in the playroom :-).

Sunday, 11 March 2018

Another Jelly Roll Race quilt

I was rooting through my 2 1/2" strip drawer that contains leftovers of fabric from many years of sewing and got into the mood to sort the colours.  There were a lot of the 1980's greens/teals in there and some purple and mauves that went together nicely.  I supplemented them from the comfort quilt stash at the Hearts and Hands Quilt Guild that I belong to and put together a Jelly Roll Race quilt from it.  This quilt has 48 strips in it and makes a nice lap quilt.  I trimmed 2 1/2" off the sides to make the finished size 55" x 62 1/2".  We even had the perfect floral fabric in the backing stash.  I quilted it with an overall swirly flower pattern and it's already being used by a chemo patient at our local hospital.  She loved the purple and greens. (Click on the photos to enlarge)
 
Perfect 1980's floral fabric for the backing :-).

Close up of the quilting

label

The finished quilt