Friday 30 October 2015

Never thought this day would arrive.......

The Indian Orange Peel top is together!  Wow, I never thought this day would arrive.  It's been on my spare bed off and on for four years, patiently waiting for the final putting together.  I worked on it every once in awhile over the years, but went to a friend's place for a sleepover recently and decided this thing needed to get finished.  I worked on it non stop for two days and that gave me the focus needed to get it done :-).

The reason I procrastinated on it is because I didn't look forward to all those curved seams and then finally setting the center 25 block square into a border frame made up of all these odd shaped pieces.  And the pattern comes with very few instructions!  But, I must say, it came together very nicely.  The worst of it was putting the last two arcs into the corners of the border section, but even that went better than expected.  The original pattern came printed out on fairly heavy paper, but I think this is what made it come together so nicely.  It did not get a chance to get stretched.  Now to pick the rest of the paper off the border :-(.  That is the part I don't like about paper piecing.  I'll have to invite some friends over for coffee and work on while chatting...or procrastinate for another four years before it gets quilted LOL.  Hopefully not.  But, that is an interesting question...how do you quilt something like this???

(Click on the photos to enlarge them)
Getting the last two seams pinned
the finished top!!!!

Amazing how the inset corners came together so nicely

To read about my IOP journey, click here

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jacqui, it is beautiful! I remember seeing all the paper-backed pieces lying on the bed on more than one occasion, lol. I have to say, knowing you, I am amazed that you kept putting this one off. It must feel really great to have it all put together, and SO WORTH IT!!!
Just one question - what was it about the sleepover at your friend's house that got you to screw up the drive to complete it?

Susan said...

Wow, impressive looking quilt. Congratulations on finishing it.

Jacqui's Quilts said...

I guess it was the fact that we would have two whole days to sew and if I only took that one project along, I could not get sidetracked LOL. And, this past spring, I finally got to the point where my UFO's are bothering me!! So, I've been working diligently to tame the UFO monster and quit starting new projects. (I have done a few new things, but they have mostly been small or quilts for specific gifts like baby showers or samples for my classes. But, trying to finish things :-). But, the two days in a row really gave me the push since it was a bit of a pain dragging it with me and packing it up again later.

Els said...

It's awesome in one word! I love, love love it. It took you some time but the result is really stunning.
Well done, I'm proud of you!!!!LOL!

Brenda said...

well worth the wait. good luck with the papers. I recommend tearing them off on a Netflix binge.

Cathy said...

It looks fabulous!! Congrats on getting it done!

The Cozy Quilter said...

WOW!!!! Can't wait to see it in person. I need to work on mine too.

Idle hands, empty brain ... said...

Your colours are stunning - as always. Well done!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Great quilt. I don't have a clue how you would quilt that.

Katie Z. said...

I'm not sure "well done" is quite enough to say, but I can't think of anything else. What a fabulous top!

llswink said...

My brain hurts looking all all those curves and points! Well done!!!

Joanne O said...

Wow Jacqui ! It is beautiful . Congratulations and welcome to the completed IOP club! Joanne

Quilter Kathy said...

OMG Jacqui it's awesome! I just LOVE it!
You have inspired me to get going on mine again!

Dresden Quilter said...

Wow! It is so amazing.

crazy quilter said...

This is a very stunning quilt! I say do some all over design since the pattern and the glorious colors are meant to be the star of this quilt. Congrats on your finish!