Saturday 15 April 2017

A Cardinal

Last week, Sew Fresh Quilts posted the next pattern for the Have a Jolly Little Christmas sew a long.  This was another one of those blocks that has lots of little pieces and angles and seams that need to be matched precisely.  So, I decided to only do 1 block!  Wow, can't believe the self discipline LOL.  Once it was done, I was already sorry I hadn't done a second one, but I can always do one more later, "when I have time", right?  Hmmm...I'll bet that'll never happen!  Here is the cardinal...it also had an eye that required cutting a 3/4" square.  Good practise for precision sewing for sure :-).

Love this cardinal.....the greens are off on the colours..they are much prettier in real life.

I find it a lot easier to lay out all the pieces on a small cutting board as I cut them.  I also press the squares in half and lay them out properly to get the right angles.  This helps a lot when sewing them together and you don't have to label all the pieces with the proper size.  I can then carry the board to my sewing machine and stitch it together.  Works for me :-).

2 comments:

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Lovely Cardinal--I am doing this quilt too--but a small one--I did 2 blocks of the mittens--as there was 2 stockings--so decided there must be 2 'kids' in the house-did not do the Partridge though--that one did not turn me on--!!!
My Cardinal is still waiting for me to create him!!!
enjoy the moments and Happy Easter to you--di

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Great block.