Friday, 14 July 2017

Two granddaughter quilts finished!

I have been working on quilts for all my grandkids for a couple of years and it was Charity and Katie's turn for a quilt for their bed.  They are 7 years old and born almost exactly a month apart.

This is Charity's quilt.  The pattern is "I used to be a layer cake" by Black Cat Creations.   I made a quilt using this pattern for Charity's older sister Kara which you can see here.  I had a layer cake with the same type of bright colours so we used that one for Charity's quilt since they share a bedroom.  They have bunk beds so it's a little hard to get the size right so I made a pillow case to make up for the lack of length.  (Click on the photo to enlarge it for a better view.)

The finished quilt

Love finding the exact match for backing in the sale bin :-)

pillow case to match
I have a collection of soft, fuzzy stuffed animals and each of the grandkids gets one to snuggle with together with the quilt...here are the two little doggies that are living with Charity and Katie now :-)

another view of the finished quilt.  I quilted it myself on my Bernina 830 with diagonal wavy lines right through the borders and through the corners of the bargello pattern in every other row using a walking foot.




Katie's quilt is a design by Lorna McMahon of Sew Fresh quilts.  She posted a note on her blog a year or so ago what we would like to see her design next.  I emailed her that I needed a quilt with flowers for my granddaughter.  She designed a wonderful quilt and I was totally in love with it.   I found this fabric in a quilt shop and that became the focus for finding the colours.

the focus fabric
The finished quilt
It was quilted by Julie Cassidy, a local long arm quilter.  We chose butterflies for the flower garden using turquoise thread.  It was perfect for this quilt

Since I only ended up using one of the focus fabric line in the front of the quilt, I pieced the rest of the fabrics for the back.  That plaid fabric was supposed to be for binding, but the quilt was bigger than I thought so I put it in the back and used 12" lengths of all the colours in the front of the quilt for a pieced binding.

It was a lot of fun piecing all the flowers!

close up of the butterfly quilting - that colour should be light blue :-)

Love the butterfly!

finished quilt



3 comments: