I thought I would end up discarding some of the hexagons as I figured they would not be very interesting, but amazingly even the ones with the white from the edges worked out very well! I used every hexie. I separated them into three piles by colour. This one used the blue and yellow ones. The second one is set with green and the third one will be orange/red. I will post those when they are finished.
I had the yellow and blue top together and was adding the solid yellow sashings and borders and the quilt was hanging on my design wall. I happened to be sitting in a chair on the opposite side of the room and contemplating why I put the hexies in that particular order and wondering what ever I was thinking when I designed it! Just before I sewed the panels onto the main quilt, I realized that I had turned it upside down! No wonder it looked so out of balance...all the dark colours were on the top and the light on the bottom. Fortunately I was able to turn it around yet, but the panels ended up on the other side. Pictures of the two versions below 😀.
|The original panel (I had purchased 7 so I could use the original in the quilts somewhere).|
|This is the layout I was contemplating from across the room! It just felt really unbalanced.|
|I didn't have enough yellow solid left to cut more sashings so the panels ended up on the right side of the quilt. The baby won't care or even notice 😉|
|The finished quilt.|
|I had this piece of Dr. Suess fabric in my stash which was perfect for the backing.|