Thursday 22 April 2021

150 Solids in One Quilt

 In 2012 I participated in a stash builder program from Mad About Patchwork in Ottawa.  Over a year we received 150 Kona cotton solid fat quarters.  I kept them together all these years as I had a dream to use all those lovely colours in the same quilt.  I found Tula Pink's 100 Modern Blocks book a few years ago and thought perhaps I could use that for the challenge. But, how to combine all those colours successfully?  

Kaffe Fasset to the rescue.  He mixes warm and cool colours in his fabrics effortlessly and pulls it off.  So, I used all 150 of the solids with some Kaffe scraps in each block and hoped they would go.  It was actually amazing how easily the design came together.  I arranged the blocks by colour from darker to lighter from bottom to top and fell in love with this arrangement.  I was originally going to use grey for the background, but this quilt demanded yellow!  

Julie Cassidy quilted it with straight lines through the blocks and custom feathery quilting in the yellow.  Click on the photos to see the detail of the lovely quilting.  I was very happy with the way this quilt turned out.  It will be added to the pile of quilts for the grandkids to choose from when they graduate from High School.

The yellow is softer than it shows on this photo





I had a large piece of this happy Kaffe Fasset fabric in my stash which I scored in a sale bin years ago and this worked perfectly for the back

A close up of Julie's beautiful quilting

 

2 comments:

Rose Marie said...

Amazing and I love adding solids in my quilts as they give a certain sparkle wherever needed. Beautiful quilting. A treasure for sure!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Very modern. Her quilting is great.