Wednesday 21 February 2007

More Miniature Quilts

This was another quilt we made in Kathy Wagner's workshop. It's a 'wonky nine patch' design which is fun to make (you can do this with curved lines as well). I had black and white fabrics leftover from a quilt I made for my oldest son. I've always wanted to do something in lime green with black so this was my chance :-). Interestingly, white binding worked nicely for this little quilt. I have it in my little wooden doll crib I bought at a yard sale. It's the perfect size.

This little quilt resulted from a dare by my friend Linda. She walked into the Quilt Shop where I worked at that time and threw a pattern on the counter and said, "I dare you to make that one!!" She knew I liked mini's but this was really crazy! I think the blocks are 2 1/2" finished...I gave the quilt to a friend. It is not paper pieced! Of course the pattern lay on the table screaming at me and with some leftover Japanese fabrics I thought, 'why not try it'. They were a challenge to keep straight, but I thought they turned out quite nicely. I have two blocks left that I hope to make into a little mini for myself one of these days.

I love this little quilt! Whenever I show this, people think I'm totally nuts!! until they realize it's not pieced...it's a little cheater panel :-). I handquilted this one and bound it with black. I have a whole series of these cheater fabrics with quilt designs on them. I'm handquilting a log cabin Debbie Mumm one right now and hope to hang up a whole series of these little guys someday.

1 comment:

Julia said...

Thank you for your comment on My DJ blog, I love the black and white wonky nine patch,
I have two old singers, a treadle and a hand operated one, but do not know what vintage they are...
Julia