Becky chose and assortment of red, gold and purple FQ's for the cubes. My daughter in law, Jannyne, helped me with arranging the hexagons once I had them all sewn together and some cubes made. We decided to add strips of black batik to make the quilt large enough and to add some interest. It ended up looking like a Japanese screen (that was not intentional!). After the first black batik borders, it needed something. I tried adding scrappy triangles, but that didn't really work. Adding the original fabric into the border and another simple black border finished it off nicely. Here is the finished quilt with Eric and Becky. I gave it to them at the rehearsal dinner (the light is not great).
I finally found the perfect backing at Creative Sisters in Kitchener. Bonus that it was a wide backing and I didn't have to piece it:
Here you can see the lovely leaves that Tim from the Marsh Store quilted into the border. I am very glad that I didn't have to sew black leaves on black batik :-)!! Thanks so much Tim!!! I also added a red 'lippy' (flat piping) in between the binding.