Tuesday 13 November 2012

Selvage Quilt Finished!

I finally got my "Glass Tumbling Blocks" quilt finished from the book "Quilts from the Selvage Edge" by Karen Griska.  I finished on time to enter it into the London Friendship Quilt Guild's show in October.  Nothing like a deadline to get things done :-).  

Here is the finished quilt hanging in the show:


It's a little hard to see the quilting, but I did a swirly design with a variegated King Tut thread in the orange sections and straight lines through the cubes and the selvage border.  I'm thinking of adding two more rows of straight quilting to the selvage border, but am waffling :-)


Here is the straight line quilting in the cubes...hard to see on the photos as well:


The finished quilt ready to hang on my sewing room wall:


I can't remember if I ever posted pictures of the top I made for my sewing machine bench using selvages:
 

I used a different embroidery stitch on my vintage Bernina 830 for each strip and made the mistake of switching colours each time!!  I really got to memorize the threading sequence for that machine :-)
 

This bench matches my curved front Singer cabinet which houses my Singer 403.





 What's next???  I still have LOTS of selvages piled up.  Better think of a new project to use some of them up :-)







3 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

What great projects. I haven't used selvages. A friend made me a cute, tiny, Christmas stocking with selvages. It's taped to my computer desk, so, I see it every day.

Brenda said...

great finish! I use selvages for teacozies and needlecases too. it's a good way to use up the little bits.

Selvage Quilter said...

Your Glass Tumbling Blocks quilt is gorgeous!!! I love it. Nice job.