Wednesday 17 August 2016

Elephant baby quilt and pillows

We went to Holland for three weeks for vacation this year.  We had a great time exploring the countryside, enjoying the delicious Dutch food, riding their wonderful bikes and checking out the beautiful Churches and buildings in their historic towns.  We stayed with relatives and a friend, so before we left, I stitched up some gifts to take along for our hosts.  (Click on the photo to enlarge it for a better view.)

Baby quilt for my cousin's son's baby.  Jesley visited us in Canada 15 years ago so I thought Jumbo would be an appropriate gift for them :-)

A friend suggested quilting straight lines to make the elephant's skin look wrinkly

It was fun practicing free motion quilting on this quilt

The back featuring all kinds of Canadian animals

Close up of the animals
 Here are a couple of photos of the baby in Holland who received this quilt :-).
 
Baby Evie sitting on my lap, my cousin Liane to the right, her husband Henk beside Jake.  Baby's father Jesley on right with his sister Chantal behind him and baby's Mom, Mariska on the far left.  So fun visiting them in Jesley and Mariska's home in Holland!


Jake and I with baby Evie


We stayed with a friend of mine the first week we were in Holland.  She has four granddaughters so I made these four pillow covers for them.  Checked out the IKEA site in Holland for sizes for the pillow inserts and made them to fit.  Bought the pillow inserts in Holland so I didn't have all that bulk in the suitcase...worked great!  The elephant patterns are from Sew Fresh and the Fox is Elizabeth Hartman's pattern.  I used the Canadian Stonehenge line of fabrics.




6 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Great gifts from Canada!

Patti said...

Just a darling baby quilt!

BrendaM said...

I love the elephants in Oh Canada prints, so adorable.
I am originally from St Thomas ON and Jumbo is close to my heart too.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Lovely! I have the Elephant parade pattern.

Unknown said...

Can you share the pattern for the elephant quilt? thank you

Jacqui's Quilts said...

To "Unknown" Will try to answer your question here since I don't have contact information for you. The Elephant pattern was called "Elephant Love" and was a pattern produced by the quilt shop, Greenwood Quiltery in Guelph, ON Canada. However that quilt shop is no longer in business and the website address on the back of the pattern is no longer valid.