Monday 2 March 2020

The Quilter's Field Guide to Colour

I recently bought "The Quilter's Field Guide to Colour", written by Rachel Hauser.  This is a very interesting book with colour swatches that you can cut apart and use to work on the colour exercises in the book.  She has a blog (click here).  She has started blogging some posts to work along with the book and try out making blocks using the colour exercises.  Blocks can be posted on Instagram, but since I don't have an Instagram account and can't open one on my desk top, and only have a cell phone for emergencies, I thought I'd blog my experiences in going through the book.  I'd highly recommend the book if you'd like to learn more about colour theory and how to choose colours with more confidence and explore different options. 

The first exercise involved choosing a warm and cool purple and a warm and cool green.  My choices were #74 Plum and #80 Iris in the purple and #125 Grass and #118 Clover for the green.

my choices for the first exercise

my choices at the top and Rachel's choices underneath

the first two blocks
I'm looking forward to the next exercise.  By the time we're finished, I might have enough bear paw blocks to make a quilt!