Monday 17 June 2019

Comfort Quilts

At our small quilt group, Hearts and Hands of Elgin County, we make lap quilts for the chemo unit of the our local hospital.  One of our members is a nurse in that unit and is our liaison and helps distribute the quilts and keeps us informed when we need more.  Each person going through chemo at the hospital receives a quilt to comfort them as they go through a very difficult time.  And, for our group, it gives us a chance to try out different patterns and use up our stash or the fabrics donated by many people to the cause.  I recently finished up three quilts.  (Click on the photos to enlarge them for a better view.)

This pattern is called Peaked Inserts and was taught to us by a friend.  It's a great pattern for using panels or scenery fabrics. I bought the duck fabric at another guild rummage sale for $3.00 for two yards of it :-).

I quilted this one with a simple wavy line design which worked up quickly using my free motion foot on my Bernina 830.

Found a perfect fabric in the clearance bin with weeds on it.
This quilt originally was meant for a back for the quilt pictured below.  The pinwheels are made from the corner cut offs of the star quilt.  But, the back turned out so nice that several ladies said it needed to be a front.  So I found backing for both and we ended up with two quilts.

The star quilt was made by all the ladies that attended a quilt retreat last November.  It was quilted by my neighbour, Chris who has a long arm machine. 

I found some jelly bean fabric in my stash for the new backing which wasn't quite enough and pieced it with a peach strip which matched the colours perfectly.

I quilted this one with funky flowers on my vintage Bernina 830.



1 comment:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Great quilts. I know they will be appreciated.