Sunday 30 June 2019

Emma's Fancy Forest Quilt

I'm working on making a bed quilts for my grandchildren and this week I got Emma's Fancy Forest quilt finished.  This is a pattern by Elizabeth Hartman.   Emma has been very patiently waiting for her older cousin's quilt to get finished before I could get hers done ☺.  I started on this one about three years ago and would work on various animals at retreats.  This was a time consuming quilt and needed to be broken down over time! 


I started with a bundle of FQ's I picked up years ago at a quilt show which had Emma's name all over it.  I put one of the bundle in each of the 8 rows and added tone on tone colours to the rows. You need 8 rows of 5 FQ's and there's a very good plan of instructions in the book which helps keep all the pieces in order.


Everything is cut according to the directions and then put in baggies which are marked with the proper animal.  When it came time to do the next animal, I would cut the strips down to the small pieces and lay them out on batting remnants.  This was great as you can stack them and take them to a retreat or sewing area.

The animals were meant to be arranged with the cool colours at the top and warm colours at the bottom.

I rearranged the animals and we liked this arrangement better.  The animals looked happier :-)

After some fine tuning of colours, this was the final arrangement.

The quilt was quilted with a lovely wavy pattern and green thread which Emma helped pick out.  It was quilted by Julie Cassidy.  I bound it with 12" strips of about half of the colours in the quilt.

(Click on the photo to enlarge the photos.)

3 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I like the animals all mixed up. It is a great quilt!

wrightlysew said...

did you sew this on your treadle?

Jacqui's Quilts said...

I sewed quite a few of the blocks on my treadle and on various FW's I was testing for other people and assembled the whole thing on my treadle :-).