Saturday 3 December 2022

CHRISTMAS PILLOWS

Some new Christmas pillows got finished here last month.  The first one was on a panel I received from a friend a few years ago.  I did not know what to do with it - make a quilt?  I got it out this year and found a lovely dark green batik that matched it perfectly.  When I measured the wreath, it was 24" and that gave me the idea of doing a pillow.  I had purchased a 26" pillow form at a yard sale at our guild meeting in October.  The grand kids love to grab a large pillow for back support while sitting on the floor ☺. 

There were also 6 hexagon shaped motifs on the panel so I made them into coasters for the coffee table.
I did quite a bit of free motion quilting around the motifs which was good practice again.  There were subtle stripes in the background, so I just echoed those a bit.

My daughter in law just refinished my coffee table for me, so these will be great to protect the new table! 

I used the covered zipper tutorial from s.o.t.a.k. which can be found here to add the zipper on the back. 

The newly refinished coffee table
 

In October, Jaybird Quilts hosted a free stitch along for her letter blocks.  There will be a sew along in January for her book on letters.  My friend was over from Holland in October so we sewed up the JOY blocks together.  She made them into little hangings to decorate her livingroom at home and I turned mine into 16" pillows.  It was a lot of fun rooting around in the Christmas scraps and doing this project together.


JOY pillows

I used leftover winter fox fabric that I had used on the back of a Christmas lap quilt I made a few years ago and also inserted the covered zippers.



 

No comments: