Monday, 26 November 2012

It's finished!

I finished the binding on the table runner and am very happy with how it turned out.  It's a bit of a pain to sew the binding on, but worth it. You can also trim the edges straight for a quick finish :-).

Closeup of the binding:

 Here it is on my kitchen table:

Thursday, 15 November 2012

Giving 'organic quilting' a try

I put together a simple table runner with tumbler shapes awhile ago and have had it hanging on my design wall all this time because I didn't know how to quilt it.  Suddenly, I remembered seeing a blog post on organic quilting.  Fortunately, I found it back and decided to give it a try. I really love how it turned out!

Close up of the wavy line quilting

I will definitely try this again on other runners or quilts.  I am stitching the binding on and will post another photo when it's all finished.

Tuesday, 13 November 2012

Selvage Quilt Finished!

I finally got my "Glass Tumbling Blocks" quilt finished from the book "Quilts from the Selvage Edge" by Karen Griska.  I finished on time to enter it into the London Friendship Quilt Guild's show in October.  Nothing like a deadline to get things done :-).  

Here is the finished quilt hanging in the show:

It's a little hard to see the quilting, but I did a swirly design with a variegated King Tut thread in the orange sections and straight lines through the cubes and the selvage border.  I'm thinking of adding two more rows of straight quilting to the selvage border, but am waffling :-)

Here is the straight line quilting in the cubes...hard to see on the photos as well:

The finished quilt ready to hang on my sewing room wall:

I can't remember if I ever posted pictures of the top I made for my sewing machine bench using selvages:

I used a different embroidery stitch on my vintage Bernina 830 for each strip and made the mistake of switching colours each time!!  I really got to memorize the threading sequence for that machine :-)

This bench matches my curved front Singer cabinet which houses my Singer 403.

 What's next???  I still have LOTS of selvages piled up.  Better think of a new project to use some of them up :-)

Monday, 5 November 2012

....and the top is finished!!

I finished putting together the top of the Bordered Diamonds quilt!  Nice to get that off the wall and done so I don't have another UFO.  I hope to quilt it soon, but that probably won't happen til after Christmas.  The grandkids will need some doll clothes and quilts for their doll beds first :-).   It was a bit of a challenge sewing these diamond blocks together, but I pinned them carefully and it worked quite well.

The instructions in the book were to cut some of the diamonds in half in the length and the width for the edge pieces and one in four for the outside corners.  I was suspicious that they wouldn't fit and waffled over it, but finally decided to cut anyway and they do fit on the sides, but I will lose the points of the diamonds along the edges.   But, the corners did not fit at all.  So, I used those cut diamonds as a template and added an inch or so on both sides and re sewed strips to them.  The corners fit properly now.  I posted a question on face book about the pattern and the lady that wrote up the instructions in the book (Liza Roos Lucy)  indicated that she did plan it that way to be a bit more frugal and have more flexibility moving the pieces around.  Since it was such a busy quilt, she didn't think the lack of points would be noticed :-).  Her motto is "perfection is the enemy of finished".  I love that!!  It reminds me of the Dear Jane quilt motto...."finished is better than perfect". 

I am very happy with this quilt and it will remind me of the wonderful time in the class with Kaffe Fassett and Brandon Mably.  Now on to working on the Indian Orange Peel quilt again...oh and making doll quilts :-).

Friday, 2 November 2012

Bordered Diamonds progress

I've actually been doing a fair bit of stitching and quilting and hope to post a few finished quilts as soon as I have a chance to take pictures.  I've had company for the last several weeks and we had a great time visiting and even sewing together.  I made good progress on the Kaffe Fasset quilt and have the layout done.  Here it is on my design wall:

The colours are a bit off due to light steaming in from the window at the side.  I am now sewing the rows together.