Monday, 30 April 2018

Canada 150 Quilt Finish

The Canada 150 quilt project is finished and I'm happy to report that the binding, label and even a hanging sleeve are complete!  This was a huge job, but very enjoyable.  I did not really enjoy sewing the sashings and borders on, but persevered so it could hang in the Shedden Quilt Show April 13 and 14.  A deadline always helps to complete something on time.  A big thank you to Kat Tucker of Next Step Quilt designs for hosting this journey.  Click on the label at the bottom of this post to read the story about the year long project.  For those interested in the pattern, here is a link to the cd with all the patterns on it. 

I decided to sash the blocks with a black Kona cotton solid and a narrow border of black all around the quilt.  I was planning to put a red Stonehenge border around it.  But, I happened to visit a quilt shop and they still had the poppy fabric from the same line so I bought 2 metres and used that for the border.  That was my favourite fabric from that line, but it had been sold out for quite awhile.  I was so happy to find it just as I was finishing the sashing on my blocks :-).  It was quite a job turning that stack of 150 blocks into a finished quilt!  I will be putting it on my bed and since the walls do not match this quilt, my daughter in law has offered to help me paint the walls.  We're contemplating one black wall!  That could be really radical.  It was quilted by long arm quilter, Julie Cassidy using a pantograph called Maple syrup. 

Stack of 150 finished blocks

I fussy cut the Canada 150 circle from fabric to get an extra block

Another fussy cut Canada flag with 1867 - 2017 to get one more block

This map of Canada worked perfectly to make up four blocks to finish off the 156 needed to make the quilt top.

The finished top with the added poppy fabric for the border!  This top is huge!

The quilt was hung in a local quilt show a couple of weeks ago so I could finally get a photo of the complete quilt.

I'm very glad that this quilt is finished!