Sunday, 2 October 2016

a Patch Job

Last December, I got a quilt finished for my granddaughter Kara.  You can read about that quilt here.  However, when they put the quilt on the bed, it was too small!  Apparently, bunk bed sizes are not all equal and I chose one on the internet that was too small.  Lesson learned:  Always measure it on the actual bed before finishing!  
This was the original quilt all finished including hand stitched binding!

I removed the binding, found fabric to match and sewed a narrow and wider border strip together.
I cut a strip of backing fabric and sewed the edge of the original quilt between the new border and the backing and then had to cut a strip of batting to add between the layers.

Then the process was repeated for the top and bottom borders and the quilting could begin

Spiral flowers were quilted in the new border and the edges were also filled in.

quilting on the back

Unfortunately, the borders shrunk in, so I washed it hoping the center would shrink, but it seemed to make it worse.  I pinned it to my design wall and sprayed it wet and that helped a bit.  However, it is now finished in time for the cool weather and is on the bed.  And, if it still doesn't fit, that's the way it's gonna have to be :-).

1 comment:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I like it! I tend to measure, and then make it even larger than needed, just in case.