Monday 12 March 2018

Canadian Eh?

I had a lot of fabrics left from my Canada 150 quilt.  After doing a number of jelly roll race quilts, my friend Alice came up with the idea of doing one in Canadian fabrics.  So, we dug through our stashes and cut at least two strips for each of us and then went shopping together to buy enough fabrics to make 48 strips.  This made a great lap quilt measuring 62" x 66".  We were both really happy with the way this quilt turned out.  I had it quilted with an all over pattern called Maple Syrup by Julie Cassidy on her long arm machine.  (Click on the photos to enlarge.)

The finished quilt

backing

lots of Canadian in this quilt :-)

all over quilting design is called "maple syrup"

I still had lots of leftover strips and I had a 26" feather pillow form in my closet so I put together enough strips to make a pillow to match the quilt.  I appliqued a red maple leaf with a black maple leaf cut 1/2" larger to make a shadow behind it.  The red maple leaf was just too small on that large pillow. It is quilted with straight horizontal lines. 

Finished pillow front

I did the usual zippered back in the pillow with a Canadian newsprint type print.  I had to buy a duvet zipper as the largest dressmaker zipper I could find was only 22".
I have used the pillow and quilt for naps several times...perfect size for the futon in the playroom :-).

2 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Great way to use up so,e of those Canada 150 fabrics! Very patriotic pillow too!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Great way to use up those scraps. Love that pillow! The shading behind the leaf is great.