Sunday 3 July 2022

A different challenge - a Pandemic Quilt

 In December of 2020, Rachel Hauser, of Stitched in Color" posted on her blog with a challenge to join her in making a quilt to reflect the many emotions of that year and presenting it to someone special.  Here is the initial blog post of the sew along she proposed:

 https://www.stitchedincolor.com/blog/2020/12/4/-healing-art-for-2020

Since we were in a pandemic and had lots of time on our hands, and I had lots of fabric, I thought I'd try my hands at this and make the quilt for my daughter in law, Becky, who works in a nursing home and has certainly dealt with many challenges!  At our ladies Bible study at Church, we were studying Nancy Guthrie's book, "Looking for Something Better" which is a study of the book of Hebrews. The first task was choosing fabrics for the various rows.  These were my final colour choices:

I didn't have quite enough of a few of the fabrics but a quick online purchase remedied that!
The final quilt.  It was presented to Becky in the summer of 2021.  I had taken pictures and couldn't find them back so finally got a few news ones!

The backing is a Kaffe Fasset print which I have had in my stash for awhile.

My friend, Chris Bogart quilted it with an angel wings pantograph which really suited it.
This photo shows the colours a bit better.

The label on the back of the quilt.



1 comment:

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

It turned out beautifully! The rainbow palette was a fantastic idea. I'm sure your daughter treasures it. Thank you for sharing this with me. It was good to remember the intention behind that sew-along. Perhaps I can develop something similar in the future.
xoxo