Tuesday 6 April 2010

A 12 year old UFO FINISHED!!

Yes, you read that correctly :-). I started this quilt 12 years ago. The blocks are my demo's for a sampler block of the month quilt that I started teaching 12 years ago to some new students. I had two classes going so made two of ten different star blocks. I chose a fabric with antique sewing items as my focus fabric. The intent was to make a quilt for my own double bed. However, this was in the days of still having teenagers home and the blocks were set aside. I took them along when DH went back to school to get his B Ed degree in Hamilton in 2004. I did get the black sashings sewn on at that time. However, we were not sure where we would be living after this and wanted to get a queen sized bed if we had room. So, the quilt was put away again. We finally did get moved last year and in the fall found the queen sized bed. In February, a friend and I got together to work on our bed quilts to spur each other on to finally complete our quilts! I did not want to quilt this large quilt myself on my domestic machine so I had it quilted by Tim Bobier of the Marsh Store. He did an awesome job of the quilting! Here is the quilt on the bed:

Closeups of some of the blocks and the lovely quilting (you can see the focus fabric in the center of the left block):

Unfortunately, the variegated thread colours don't show up on the photo since I have to resize the pictures for blogger. The thread has pastel colours matching the focus fabric perfectly. It is one of the King Tut threads.




I didn't have enough of the black border fabric to make the quilt large enough and that would have been very dark as well. A few years ago, I found the exact fabric in the cream background in a sale bin and bought a couple of metres. It worked well to make the border large enough:

In order to make the quilt large enough for the new queen sized bed, I added a scrappy border of 2 1/2" squares using all the fabrics in the blocks.

The backing of the quilt:


Now I can finally make the curtains for the room and decide on pictures for the walls!

11 comments:

Deb said...

Beautiful!!! I am very impressed. Unfortunately, I'm still working on mine, but so far it's only been on the go for a year and a half.....with lots of people living here temporarily. What other quilt do you need spurring on to get finished?
: )

Jacqui's Quilts said...

LOL Deb!! What do you mean..."what other quilt"!? That would have to be plural! I have lots I can do while you work on yours...let me know when you're coming :-)

Jan said...

I LOVE this quilt!!! Very nice and scrappy! So glad you got it finished! I bet it feels great. It looks wonderful on your bed.

Jan

Laura said...

Let me know if you ever feel ambitious enough to make another one! LOL I would love a quilt for my bed! It looks beautiful Jacqui! I love admiring your work! It is fantastic!

Lynda said...

Great job, and I love the fabrics! The quilting is really nicely done and complements the quilt so well. What's next Jacqui? I'm still working on a machine embroidered quilt. It's a 3 yr. project that I'd love to get done.....NOW!

Anonymous said...

Very nice Mom!!! It turned out beautifully! I'm sure that's a very satisfying project to finish.

Sarah by the Sea said...

WOW! i'm inspired to get sewing again! :) Looks great!
How much did it cost to have Tim quilt it?

The Cozy Quilter said...

You did a great job on this quilt. It doesn't look dated at all. You would never know that it has been languishing in a pile of ufo's for 12 years! We'll have to do another QNIC soon and work on some more projects. I still have my flying squirrels and maggots quilt to finish...

The Cozy Quilter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Congrats on the finish, it is beautiful and you will enjoy it all the more since it was a long time coming.

Quilter Kathy said...

Wow Jacqui! Congratulations on a terrific finish!
Very inspiring to those of us with lots of old UFO's in various stages of development!