Tuesday 23 April 2019

Woven Selvages

Looking through my photos recently, I realized I'd never blogged about this selvage project which I finished in November 2017.   This had been my leaders/enders project for awhile testing sewing machines for Jake after he repairs them.  A great way of testing a machine on an actual project when precision isn't required.  I cut 5" squares of muslin or leftover light scrap fabric and covered them with the selvages aiming for lighter and darker for every other square.  This pattern is in the book "Quilts from the Selvage Edge" by Karen Griska.  

The wall hanging is the same size as the Glass Tumbling Cubes from the same book done in 2012.  This way I can interchange the hangings on the wall periodically.  I am running out of wall space ☺.
(click on the photo to enlarge for a better view)

close up of the selvages

The finished wall hanging

I added a navy border instead of the selvage border which I found a little too busy.  I echoed the woven design in the border with the quilting. 
The finished quilt is hanging above my coffee station in my sewing room

1 comment:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Yes, a solid border is just what was needed. I've never used any of my selvedges yet. I keep giving them away.