Friday 27 March 2020

The Quilter's Field Guide to Colour 2

This month's colour lesson from Rachel Hauser's book was linked to the colours of the seasons.  Take a look here for the first post on these exercises.  We had to take 8 different colour ways (one was neutrals) and choose a swatch from each colour to represent the four seasons.  And, then take the choices from the current season to make one or more bear paw blocks.  This is definitely more difficult that it looks at first glance!  First of all, there are all the decisions on sorting the colours into the proper groups.  Is this particular swatch purple, pink, red or orange?  Or maybe neutral?  I finally sorted all the colours into warm and cool groups first. I even got my colour wheel out to help me sort them out!  It was amazing matching up some fabrics to the spring row and finding the perfect ones!  These scraps were left over from a quilt I made for my granddaughter Emma called, Fancy Forest.   I ended up making four spring blocks using the same center focus fabric but different paws.
(click on the photos to enlarge)

First four colours

Second set of four colours

My rows of colours minus the ones used in this exercise


This focus fabric fit well with the green and pink and "sand" that I chose for my neutral

Loved how this fabric went so well with the spring fabrics (except the purple ☺

My four bear paw blocks.  Amazing how different that center fabric looks with the different coloured paws.

the blocks with last month's blocks
If I have a bit of free time before next month's exercise, I may try more blocks from the other seasons.

1 comment:

Rachel Hauser said...

Thanks for sharing! Your spring blocks are definitely fully spring. They look great. Hope to see you continue to work through the series and enjoy the book =)