Wednesday 27 January 2021

Be my Neighbour!

 In May, the London Friendship Quilter's Guild offered its members a sew along to keep us connected during the lockdown.  Each week we were sent instructions to make a house block.  Once a week a zoom meeting was organized and we were able to show one another our blocks (or the lack of one ☺) and chat with one another.  It was a great way to keep in touch and get to know members better.

Kona solids was my choice for this sampler quilt since I have a wonderful collection of them.  I had an awesome piece of house fabric that I bought awhile ago at The Quilt Kitchen in Exeter and used that to choose colours for the quilt.  

 

I had a darker grey Kona solid and used it for background.  I never looked at the size of the quilt and happily started on my first block when I realized it was 18" by 12" or 14"!!  That is huge.  A panic email out to the Quilt Kitchen for more grey Kona.  Yes, she had it in stock and tossed it in the mail that same afternoon and it was in my community mailbox at 9:30 the next day! When does that ever happen? It was quilted by Chris Bogart.

(Click on the photo for a larger view.)

The finished quilt





I saved all the cut offs from the angles pieces of the quilt and used them as leaders/enders and made pinwheels and houses out of them and used them for the back of the quilt since I didn't have enough of the house fabric for the whole backing.  A multi coloured Kaffe Fasset fabric was perfect for the binding.

Chris quilted it with a bird/flower overall pantograph ☺.

 
This summer I got a Bernina 1230 and it has a blanket stitch!  I tried it out on these cute bird appliques on this quilt and it worked very well.

4 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Cute house quilt. Glad you could get more of the fabric easily.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Looks great. I bet you still have lots of solids in your stash...
A very colourful neighborhood

Unknown said...

It's beautiful, Jacqui! Such a happy vibe! And beautiful quilting by your neighbour, Chris! Thanks for sharing :)

Live a Colorful Life said...

Such a cute quilt, Jacqui!