Monday 10 June 2019

Table runner experiments

A few years ago I made a Mexican Star wall hanging and I always wanted to make more blocks with this technique.  I made this table runner with two mini charm packs using 2 1/2" squares.  I found a white fabric with a little black speckle in my stash to use for background.  I thought this would be a good runner to try matchstick quilting.  Here is the first photo with white thread and quilting lines 1/4" apart.


I drew lines 1" apart and used my free motion foot to quilt it on my vintage Bernina 830 and just eyeballed in the 1/2" and 1/4" lines.  The sides are always tricky so I did free motion lines sideways to fill that up :-).

It looked a little pale with white so I braved it and added orange lines in between some of the white ones.  I really like the effect.
The finished runner

I bought 1/2 a yard of the orange for binding, but could just squeeze out the backing as well if I used up all the rest of the mini charms!  When does that ever happen?

1 comment:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Fun quilting! I like the edges you did, too. Nice table runner.