Tuesday 25 June 2019

Treadleon Autumn Leaf Exchange - an old UFO

Here is a blast from the past!  A UFO from 2003!!  And, it's finished 😀.  This is one of those quilts that present a huge challenge and makes me keep waffling.  

In 2003, the Treadleon group (dedicated to sewing on people powered sewing machines) hosted an exchange of 12", 9" and 6" autumn leaf blocks.  I did a set of 12 blocks for each size.  Of course this is a challenge to put together already.  But, a fun puzzle.  However, life keeps getting in the way and interrupting the process.  And, the one thing that really challenged me was whether or not to put that one pink and purple leaf block in!  I did not want to leave it out as it was part of the exchange and truly what that person would see out of her window in the fall.  I dug around in my scraps and found lots of fall colours and made up some half square triangles and flying geese units to make coping strips to fit the sizes of the various blocks.  I put in two purple scraps to try to tie in the block.  That took some juggling as more than two did not work!  This was done in 2014.  Then the top went off to the local Senior's center where the Busy Bees hand quilted it for me.  And, then it sat in my room for a long time waiting for the task of making a label.

Purple daisy in the flying goose
I had made a drawing on paper of the basic quilt layout with the paper and fabric labels pinned to the proper spots.  Finally last week, I found the quilt under a pile of stuff and decided to get it finished ☺.  The label is huge and more functional than pretty,   Great memories of a lovely block exchange with the Treadleon group.  


Arranging the blocks and spacers


the purple block

outside on the patio
This quilt has been gifted to my friend Sya who is enjoying it very much

handquilted

The label.  There were five fabric labels which I hand stitched onto the larger label.
Here are some closeups of the label for those Treadleon members who participated (click on the photos to enlarge).  Do any of you remember this exchange? ☺









So happy to have this one finished.  I have another set of blue and white blocks from 2000 from this group...should work on those next!

8 comments:

Soapstone Quilts said...

It is beautiful! I am a green Onion of just a few years in Treadle On, so this is a treat to see. I love the way you labeled the back, too!

PamiStump said...

I remember that exchange but it looks like you didn't get any of mine. (I was a Woodruff at the time.)

Judy Z said...

My top is still waiting for quilting. You did a beautiful job putting yours together. Thanks for posting pictures. A blast from the past. The machine I used for that exchange is still my favorite. I was able to pick up a seven drawer treadle cabinet from Cindy Peters estate to put my machine in.

hared said...

What an awesome quilt--well done!!

Gina in Missouri (a "Treadle On" member)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I had barely learned how to quilt when this exchange happened (I didn't start collecting treadles until 2010). What a great quilt full of memories. I recognize some of the names, and I met Jackie Johnson last weekend at the Missouri TOGA.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Oh yea, I love how you made the label. What a great way to remember who made what.

Roberta said...

I loved that exchange..... I see my block in there and I have my
Quilt done and I machined quilted it on a treadle.

Jacqui's Quilts said...

Thanks so much for your comments ladies! Many of you are 'no reply' commenters so I'll try it this way. Hope you see this comment as well :-). Lovely to hear from several who are part of this exchange!! I still have the Dleft's blue one to do and it's on my to do list for the fall. It was very nice to get this one all finished. Neat to hear that you are still sewing with your machine Judy and found a cabinet to put it in...special to have that memory of Cindy Peters.