Saturday 2 January 2021

Comfort Quilts

 Last February, my friend Mary Lou came over and we spent a whole day rooting around in my leaders/enders collection.  I've been sewing cut offs together for many years and it was time to get them all organized and sorted.  We had a fun day thinking of projects to make with these.  I found a bunch of sample blocks from classes that I taught way back in the early 2000's!  And these fabrics have been in my stash since the 80's and 90's!  With some small hst's (half square triangles) I managed to make up a few more blocks to finish off one of the rows and we used up lots of larger hst's to make pinwheel blocks.  This row quilt was the result.  I just quilted it with simple straight lines.   Satisfying to use it up!  It will go to our local hospital's chemo unit for a comfort quilt.

The finished quilt - the binding still needed to be sewn down by hand

one of the tiny hst blocks

The second tiny hst block

We also found a whole bunch of black and white HST blocks in our quilt group's stash.  The black part had little tiny paw prints on it.  I had a stack of four patches which I've made as leaders/enders over the years and they fit beautifully with the black and white squares to create this layout.  I found the dog print for the border.  Someone will love this one for a comfort quilt at the chemo unit.  Now I need to start sewing up four patches again!

Finished quilt
Close up of the dog print and paws.  I quilted this one with simple straight lines too.


1 comment:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Good use of your extra blocks.