Friday 1 January 2021

Antique embroidered quilt and pillow sham

 I was going through pictures and realized I'd taken these pictures in September and forgot to upload them to my blog!  This quilt has been finished for quite awhile.  I actually bought the top in a box lot at an auction.  We had just arrived at the auction and sat down and I wasn't paying much attention yet and all of a sudden I hear the auctioneer holler, "No one wants four boxes of fabric for $2.00"??? Of course that woke me up and my hand shot up.  And a guy bids $3!!!  Of course then I really had to have it, but had no idea what was in those boxes.  I got the boxes for $4.00.  There were two boxes of brown 60's type calicos which I end up using in 2007 to make quilts for my Mom, Dad and mother in law. Another box had a bunch of large pieces of terry cloth fabric which I used to make towels.  And, the last box had some beautiful hand embroidered blocks with birds (I'm still intending to make a quilt with those someday!) and also a complete top all embroidered in greens and reds.  I can't remember when I actually got this out to finish it, but I just added a simple red border around it and gave it to Julie Cassidy to quilt for me.  She did some custom quilting on it and it turned out gorgeous.  There was also a pillow sham or dresser scarf with it.  I decided to make a custom pillow insert and make it into a pillow.  Here is the finished quilt (click on the photo for a larger view).


Julie's beautiful quilting

The embroidery was very well done!

On my antique bed

The pillow sham

The colour is off on this backing...it's a darker green with a shiny polka dot, but here you can see the lovely custom quilting.

 

1 comment:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Oh my! How lovely! Your friend did a wonderful job on the quilting, too. What a treasure.