Monday 11 January 2021

Roman coin Kaffe Fasset quilt

 This quilt top has been sitting around for a long time.  In 2013, my friend Alice and I visited Hyggeligt Quilt shop which is one of our favourite shops when we need a colour fix.  This shop specializes in Kaffe Fasset fabrics.  I believe they were still in London then.  We fell in love with a package of fat eighths that were meant to do a jelly roll race quilt top with 1 1/2" strips using shot cottons plus one Kaffe fabric.  We both made a quilt and they were displayed in the Shedden Quilt show one year.  I looked back to tag the post about this quilt and there wasn't one!  I never did blog this quilt so I added a few pictures below.

The quilt turned out to be an odd size; very long and narrow, so we just cut it to a pleasing length.  I had this strip left over and years ago I cut them into different width strips and used a wine red shot cotton I found in my stash to sash it all around.  I had purchased some lotus leaf fabric for the backing of the first quilt and had just enough to add borders to it.  There it sat in the pile of quilts to be quilted until I got inspired.  

In September I found it again and decided to give it to an older lady from our Church who lost her husband in 2020 and with covid was pretty lonely.  She's quite artistic and I thought she'd like the colours.  I quilted it with funky flowers all over and miraculously found the same fabric yet in the stash for binding!  When does that ever happen?  I had a lovely visit with her when I brought the quilt and she loved it.  It matches her room perfectly.  So happy to have this quilt go to a good home. (Click on the photos to enlarge for a better view.)

The finished quilt

The funky flower quilting

 
This was the original quilt.  I have it hanging over my computer chair to brighten up room ☺

We challenged ourselves to do circular quilting on our original quilts.  I love the texture this gives!  This was a learning experience as I started and stopped each circle (using the edge of my walking foot as a guide).  If I do this again, I will be starting on a seam and sneaking down the seam for the next circle. You learn something with everything you do lol.  Alice embroidered on her quilt.  I'll add a picture if I can find one on my computer!



 

1 comment:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

So nice of you to give that quilt to the widow. This year has been so much harder on people since they can't visit with other people.