Friday 1 January 2021

Pincushion fun

 About a year and a half ago, I went to the Quilt Kitchen in Exeter and succumbed to a book on making pin cushions.  You can read about that here.  It is very addictive and such fun to use up leaders/enders, selvages and bits and pieces of leftover fabrics from other projects.  Many years ago I went to a few miniature quilt classes with Kathy Wagner who blogs here. She suggested that when you finish off a quilt to file small leftovers into a basket or drawer together so that when you wish to make a mini quilt, you have a nice set of fabrics that go together nicely.  This works for pin cushions too ☺.  Every once in awhile, I grab my book and some of these fabrics and cut out a bunch of pin cushions.  Then when I need to test a sewing machine for Jake, I have something fun to make!  

In October, one of my small guilds held a 20th anniversary get together (which was way scaled down due to covid).  I had enough pin cushions in my jar to give everyone in the group a pin cushion and another friend in the group made a lovely hooked coaster for everyone. 

This photo shows the 19 pin cushions needed for everyone.
 

 
The jar was full!



 
Last night I finished five more pincushions to place into the empty jar

 

The jar is filling up again :-).

 

 

2 comments:

Patti said...

What a wonderful thing to have on hand for friends!! Love the colors!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

How nice to have so many ready to give away. Have fun making more. I got to meet Kathy a few years ago when she came to the Michigan TOGA.